22. September 2021
We are thrilled to announce APPUiO Cloud, the new member of the APPUiO family of products. APPUiO Cloud is the heir to the successful APPUiO Public PaaS (Platform as a Service) product in service since 2016.
What is APPUiO Cloud?
APPUiO Cloud is a complete overhaul of APPUiO Public, offering a complete yet simple “OpenShift 4 Project As A Service” (“O4PaaS”) product, in a shared infrastructure. We sometimes simply call it “Namespace as a Service (NSaaS)”.
APPUiO Cloud will have the following features:
- Available in different Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) providers, allowing for true multi-cloud deployments: would you like to use one cluster in Zürich for production, and another for development and testing on a different provider in Geneva? No problem at all.
- Only pay for what you actually use; not using your Pods (containers) much? Don’t worry, you won’t have to pay for those idle hours.
- Simple sign-in: create an account, enter your credit card details, and your access will be ready to use immediately.
- Full self-service, all through the Kubernetes API; for example, create new namespaces yourself using the oc/kubectl CLI or as part of your CI/CD pipeline for feature branch deployments.
- Collaboration features included: create an organization, subdivide it in teams, and invite your developers to one or many projects.
- Single sign-on to all APPUiO Cloud services, protected with Two-Factor Authentication (2FA).
More information for a technically-savvy audience:
Who is APPUiO Cloud for?
We designed APPUiO Cloud as a fast, cost-effective solution for DevOps teams needing immediate and affordable access to an OpenShift 4 project, without having to care about the installation and maintenance of a full OpenShift 4 cluster. It suits the needs of DevOps and IT teams in various industries:
- Startups in industries such as Fintech, healthcare, social media, and others.
- Training companies teaching Kubernetes or Cloud Native concepts to their students.
- Independent DevOps engineers.
- Freelance Cloud Native app developers.
APPUiO Cloud provides users in these groups with a simple, secure, ready-to-use OpenShift 4 project, fully configured with the most convenient defaults.
APPUiO Cloud is being developed in the open. You can read more about it in our products website
, and we are going to publish more news in this blog as we move forward with its development.
Many pieces of APPUiO Cloud are already open source, including the work-in-progress system design, available at our Knowledge Base
and on GitHub, through our documentation
and the Project Syn APPUiO Cloud Commodore Component
Frequently Asked Questions
When will APPUiO Cloud be available?
We plan to release APPUiO Cloud to selected beta users in October 2021, and to the public in the first quarter of 2022.
What zones will be available with APPUiO Cloud?
The first zone will be running at cloudscale.ch
, the second one will be at Exoscale
, but more will follow shortly after. Stay tuned for updates!
How much will APPUiO Cloud cost?
You only pay for what you actually use (metered billing). There will be a price per memory used by your workload. Exact pricing will be announced soon.
What support will be available for APPUiO Cloud?
APPUiO Cloud customers will be able to use the APPUiO Cloud forums
for help and support. A full documentation suite will also be provided, with all required information to run your applications on APPUiO Cloud quickly and conveniently.
How do I backup my data on APPUiO Cloud?
Our K8up backup operator can backup data in your PVCs to any restic compatible storage, such as AWS S3, Minio, and more.
I am a current APPUiO Public user, do I have to migrate to APPUiO Cloud?
Yes. We will help you migrate your workloads either to an APPUiO Managed or Self-Managed cluster, or to the new APPUiO Cloud.
How do we migrate?
A comprehensive documentation for the migration will be made available, and we offer support packages for migration help.
Am I able to deploy my apps with the oc OpenShift 4 command line client on APPUiO Cloud?
Yes, you will be able to login and operate on your OpenShift 4 project using any standard tool compatible with OpenShift 4.
I am interested in APPUiO Cloud. Where do I sign up?
Enter your e-mail in this form
, and we will contact you as soon as the registration for APPUiO Cloud opens. Thanks for your support!