16. December 2021
We are thrilled to announce that we agreed on a partnership with Isovalent. Isovalent created Cilium, the Enterprise-class eBPF-powered Networking, Observability, and Security software, which was contributed to the CNCF as an incubation-level project in 2021.
Who is Isovalent?
Isovalent builds open-source cloud-native networking software that solves networking, security, and observability for modern infrastructure. Isovalent Cilium Enterprise is the Enterprise Distribution maintained by the creators of Cilium & eBPF.
We’re especially proud that one of the founders of Isovalent and lead developer of Cilium and eBPF has his home in Switzerland. Besides the US, the second headquarter of Isovalent is in Switzerland.
What is Cilium and eBPF?
Cilium is an Open Source software for enabling, securing, and observing network connectivity between container workloads in cloud native apps. It is fueled by eBPF, the revolutionary Linux Kernel technology. eBPF allows sandboxed programs to run in Kernel space. It is used to safely and efficiently extend the capabilities of the Kernel without requiring to change kernel source code or load kernel modules. This allows for fast and secure innovation.
Why APPUiO and Isovalent?
Isovalent provides APPUiO with expert support for stable operations, supported by the use of the hardened and Red Hat OpenShift-certified distribution of Cilium. This support is provided by the same developers who wrote Cilium, with a 30-minute response time; hotfixes for high priority incidents; and a regular, proactive review of customer metrics to identify potential concerns as soon as possible. All of these features makes Isovalent a premium partner for APPUiO in this new phase.
Why APPUiO and Cilium?
Cilium is a critical piece of the new APPUiO Cloud. It allows us to:
- Provide advanced networking configurations, to help secure the multi-tenant environment.
- Bring observability into the network layer, which would be otherwise hard (or downright impossible) because of the restricted nature of APPUiO Cloud.
- Enhance network policies, with way more possibilities than those offered by Kubernetes or even OpenShift.
- Implement Kubernetes LoadBalancer services with BGP, which makes it possible to offer this service on cloudscale.ch.
- Future proofing our network technology, and to prepare for scalable cluster networking.
- Prepare for more advanced security features, like syscall blocking, Service Mesh
, and more.
- Prepare for future advanced networking features, like APPUiO Cloud Multi-Zone Networking.